stayingafloat

the 23 year me would have called me psychotic, but the 28 year old me and the 16 year me is in love with the me today

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

On the dance floor oh kudhiye


Recovering from a close wedding in the family. Grand, opulent, nevertheless lots of fun. Felt better equipped to handle it since my sister, Shonali, was in town. Actually the time I actively miss her the most is at these social gatherings. Its like it was always the two of us side by side at these places. We were like born as a pair (almost). And when she is not there I feel lost. With her by my side, we were sure to get all the right attention. By sheer association.

Ok back to the wedding. Open on to the sangeet. To the dance floor. The stage is set and the dance begins. The frantic coordination, hours of practice sessions (some more fun than the sangeet itself) boil down to the 15 min parody with me participating in one of the seven songs and sharing the stage with 6 other people, thus really having a 1/49th part (so much for the math). Amongst the seven of us in this particular song is Shona as well and this is the first time we have shared stage space.(Not counting her brief role in her own sangeet) So a Kodak moment all in all.

After this practiced version one finds the dance floor empty. At this point I am a little surprised . Like this is a really hip and happening sangeet I am talking about. As proof let me just mention that one of the pre- wedding parties was gate crashed by none other than Rahul Gandhi (see I told you ). Its a different matter that post his arrival he was more the cause for celebration than the couple themselves. But whatever.

Anyway so I do what everyone else is doing. With a busy step I go and look around for people to play host to. I said I am family (almost). God bless aunt poo, not only does she provide me with the opportunity but also keeps me sufficiently entertained . I proceed to other people , do some hellos and closely avoid some others. And start wondering what the whole point of the exercise is.

I feel the need to destroy the peace and quiet on the dance floor. And at this same moment I see people from all over joining me in the movement. Actually I am no longer certain I started the movement. But all in all a whole bunch of us find ourselves on the dance floor. -family, friends and strangers alike dancing to the music , singing above the music and losing ourselves some.

On the dance floor I dance with everybody and their uncle and its quite fun. We dance in full form on Kajrare Re Kajrara Re with each one in their own space pretending to be Aishwarya Rai, on Right Here Right Now, On Pathshalla complete with hand brushing and side butt movement . I remember hearing a strange 40 year old voice requesting "Do Glassi" and me wondering how did she even know.

A friends group on the side does practically classical dance movements with expressions et all. Oh and then there is this guy, my parents would gladly have me marry, who, I think , is happiest dancing with the groom ;)

A bunch of people form a human chain and dance towards another human chain. I join them briefly. I get people to the dance floor. Then I go off the dance floor and people get me back. Its somewhere quid pro quo.

Soon its really late in the night (actually its early in the morn) but we are all still in full form, actually this is the point when we (and now I use we not for the small close group but for everyone on the dance floor- see my spirits are improving) are in max form , but the DJ is tired (he does do this everyday - to him its a job and no matter how much he enjoys it it comes with the baggage of work) and from some loud Punjabi no. he switches to Tujhe dekh dekh jeena. You heard me . He switches just like that. And suddenly I feel single. Very single. For the first time it really hits me how single I am. I feel even more single as there is no one I even think about. (So this happens to be a real white space. Marketers are you listening?)

I see people doting over their partners. I see people exchanging glances from across the dance floor. I see people ignoring their partners. And I even see people uncomfortable with their partners.

The puppets who are a part of the decor observe me brimming with enthusiasm, starting chains, abandoning chains, feeling elated, feeling single and at some point even getting bored. All on the dance floor.

And now having exposed the sangeet, the wedding and myself I for a moment wish this blog was truly anonymous. But, only for a moment. :)

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lost in the lonely crowd, eh??
there are a few more people out there who feel the same way as you do..hope this is some consolation for you and me and those few others..

9:28 AM  
Blogger Vijayeta said...

Yes, yes, yes...we've all felt like that at some point or other. And we've also pondered over the pointlessness of it all and how overrated the whole thing is! I mean, if you can cure these blues with a healthy dose of retail therapy and chocolates...it's not all that grave, is it?
By the way, since you're in Delhi...have you been to this new chocolate place (It's not a shop. It's more than that!) in Basant Lok, called Choko La? Do go there if you haven't. It's done up exactly like Juliette Binoche's chocolat boutique from the book/film Chocolat and is pure pure heaven. Trust me, it beats everything else when it comes to chasing away the blues!
:)
P.S. Welcome back. You were missed :)

3:24 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Geez now I wish I was in Delhi, with blues to chase away. I could stand a whiff of that chocolate place.

You ever notice how if you actively want something, long for it, you never get it (or you get something truly horrendous and not what the doctor ordered) and the moment you say, to hell with it, it plops on your lap?

Here's to imperturbability.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Yeah. I do. And then I pretend I don't want it. And it doesn't work cos you can't fool the universe.

It's about letting go, isn't it?

4:44 PM  
Blogger that girl in pink said...

you know, actually it's all really relative. I'm married (as u know!) and it's great and all but sometimes when i'm sitting with a bunch of single friends & they're discussing dates & ever changing love lives & the need to be held/laid, hell, i feel really bloody married. and i don't mean that in a good way.
Take this comments section for instance. i'm the only one who's not saying "I get it" and that makes me feel kinda left out.
I guess all of us just feel the need to belong so i say to hell with belonging to the "couples club" or the "singles soiree" (yeah i'm a big one for alliteration!) We all belong to the cool, intelligent & red hot chicks gang and that's pretty fucking awesome.

11:16 PM  
Blogger that girl in pink said...

remind me to ask you about rahul gandhi later.

11:31 PM  
Blogger Wild Reeds said...

Funny :-)
Your post reminded me of the time I'd been tricked into dancing at a Sangeet... it involved rehearsals with the bride-to-be (who turned out to be a total Hitler and export-quality Bitch), and that too after work. But I did it for my best buddy (the groom), and on the day of the sangeet our performance (some wedding song from Bride and Prejudice) "brought four stars" to the function. So there :-)

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

as per your instructions i am leaving this as a comment on your blog entry

"humne aanso se kaha, yun mehfil mein aake na satay karo. akele mein aaya karo.
is pe ansoo has kar bola, mehfil mein hee hum tumhe tanha pate hai. isliye chale aate hai, chale aate hai."

you know who this is

1:19 AM  
Blogger DiTtY said...

*sigh* This loneliness thing has a habit of creeping up on you most unexpectedly in the middle of crowded places... Sometimes I have found myself looking longingly at a twosome in random places like a mall, bookstore etc, but then that passes... :) As V, said nothing like a little retail therapy and chocolates to fix anything! :)

And ooohhhh... what is this Choko La place?! I think I have to make a trip to Delhi to check this place out!!! :)

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

STOP nicking others' pictures to put in your blog. Please give credit where credit is due. Imagine how you would feel if someone nicks your very commendable writing, without your permission or giving you credit...

8:37 PM  
Blogger lemontree said...

anonymous: with the ocassion much in the past and me in better spirits i know there is more than consolation for us in store :) life is all sunny side up now

vij: a good pair of heels was all that was needed to chase away the blues! found one soon after ! and am sure to use choko la sooooon. actually cant wait to visit
ps: you are missed now. where is fable (part 15)

chrysallis stage: it was meditative . and the moment had intensity.

jenn: i am moving on to 'to hell with it.' and on not fooling the universe- well put ;)

iris: its the same cliche of feeling bad on not being invited even though you would have never gone. but you still feel bad. really bad. and you even feel stupid about feeling bad. but you do feel bad. ironically on being invited you dont feel the equal amount of good . hehe

pink: its truly about belonging. and hurrah to the red cool chicks gang!

wild reeds: am sure the practise would have been great fun both because and inspite of ms. hitler. there is nothing quite like a common enemy .

anonymous (a): i have nothing to say. and that does not imply you left me speechless.

ditty: that place sounds worth travelling the world for so do come.

anonymous: no comment

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woman..!!! I am absolutely
addicted to your blog and AMMMAZED at your writing skills...ABSOLUTELY AWESOME WOMAN..!! Just love reading your blogs..!...Keep it going..!

About the slow song..I quite like it...;-)

10:48 PM  
Blogger lemontree said...

Nupur: Hey ! Thanks ! And me too loves the song , infact it is a title of one of my posts , but in that moment it completely got me ;)

11:36 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

I can so identify with That Girl in Pink! You want a live-in boyfriend. You marry a man and he stops shaving. Stubble is cute till you get razored by it, hon.

2:42 PM  
Blogger lemontree said...

sue: i know what u mean. but till you dont feel it the stuble so seems worth wanting.
btw welcome to my space :)

12:19 PM  
Blogger Enemy of the Republic said...

Weddings are fun, as long as they aren't your own.

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mention your stage time as 1/49, but this may not be true, as the figure could be more or less depending on the song length. Since there were a total of 7 songs, my question is, were all the songs exaqctly the same length? You say the total parrody was 15 minutes, which in seconds is 900 seconds. Was your part of the song exactly 128.5714 seconds or to make it easier, 2 minutes and 8.5714 seconds?
When you talk about stage time it's important to know how long were you on stage for -- the songs are possibly of unequal lengths ,so purely statistically speaking this could be in error. Before making such a strong numerical claim, it's important that you calculate your song as a percentage of the total songs.
Giving the benefit of duobt, if you have already taken this into account and know that your song was exactly 1/7th of the total parrody, then hats-off to you for having such a statistical brain.
This may sound anal to you, but the thing is that people all over the world use statistics very inappropriately to their own benefits, and I am very much aginst that. I like to check on the mistake whenever I spot it.
I think I have a slight cold in the head, so cannot type anymore.
Stastically awed.

4:40 PM  
Blogger lemontree said...

CV: yup, weddings are fun, about your own not being so don't have a first hand expereince but for now ill take your word for it

Anonymous: Hey! welcome to this space. Pure gut which has no/ little bearing in data tells me that you are someone i know who has been a regular lurker and is a first time commentor here- now i could be soo wrong, on both counts , which would be a point in your favour. anyways let me know.

the stats bit had me rolling on the floor. i know you are not likely to appreciate my sense of humour. (atleast not on this). no i have to admit i had not really put rigour behind that 1/7th statistic. And would add here that i am more of a soft data person. However I do understand nos. and to try and read and interpret them acurately.

cold in the head- i think so too, however hope it is better

and my apologies for the error

4:03 PM  
Blogger lemontree said...

anonymous: BTW i enjoyed your comment. (Incase it did not come thru)

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home