stayingafloat

the 23 year me would have called me psychotic, but the 28 year old me and the 16 year me is in love with the me today

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Your face is your fortune, so some wise men spoke


The other day while watching Kajrare Kajrare on some obscure television channel, with undivided attention, while others in the family sat appreciating Aishwarya Rai's beauty, dancing abilities etc, I started thinking about how perfectly this song has been cast. (I know not really a remarkable or unique observation and also too late in the day, but anyways)

Aishwarya transfers her own 'brand' on to the role. So to her role of a notch girl she adds grace, charm and the 'play hard to get' bit. To really dramatise what I am trying to say, imagine Mallika Sherawat assaying the role. See!

She makes kajrare kajrare a bridge product. Bridge products help break barriers. They help bridge the gap. They enable people sitting on the fence to get recruited into the category. What sheeshas do for smoking and what breezers do for drinking. There are enough people who don't smoke but don't mind the occasional sheesha, of course it has tobacco but it comes minus the taboo. It is consumed through a pipe and comes in green apple and strawberry flavors for crying out loud.

How is Kajrare a bridge product and for whom? Well kajrare becomes the bridge item no. for girls looking for happening yet acceptable nos to dance on, in family sangeets. There weren't as many girls belting out "Babuji zaara dhere chalo, mirchi laagi...." in the midst of proud parents, aunts, uncles and even in laws.

On a related note:the world can be basically divided into two : the haves and the have-nots.

Haves are people who are born beautiful (of course all children are born beautiful, but some distinctly, visibly more beautiful than others, and these are the ones I am talking about). And if that wasn't enough they grow to just the perfect height and have perfect bodies.

The have-nots are god's lesser children (not children of a lesser god- I think it is far better to establish a hierarchy amongst the mortals, than amongst the gods), who will spend a better part of their lives trying to bridge the gap. They may not be beautiful (in the skin deep way) but they are usually a wee bit quicker on the uptake. During their impressionable years their well wishers (read moms) urged them to and they readily believed that there may be a trade off between beauty and brains. And so they spent considerable amount of time honing the latter. However when they go into the real world they realize, this is not really the case. Beauty exists both with and without brains. There really is no trade off. Suddenly it doesn't even make sense for there to be a trade off. They then go back to trying to bridge the gap, but alas by now its a wee bit late and the gap is too wide.

After thought: My blog is the bridge for the book I intend to write. And my camera phone the bridge.........

16 Comments:

Blogger that girl in pink said...

agree with you on the first bit. disagree on the second. as i grow older i find that inner beauty starts manifesting itself as physical beauty. there's a glow about bright, witty, happy people that's just missing in others. confident body language, mischievous eyes, good conversation skills...all physical attributes that totally make up the attractiveness quotient of a person.

isn't that what explains the whole abhishek bachchan fan following frenzy?

some pretty people even complain that their good looks stop others from taking them seriously. so maybe long lashes, a straight nose and pouty lips aren't such a blessing after all.

unless of course you're anjelina jolie. but that kind of a package comes along very rarely and i really don't think we should include her in our debate!

5:49 PM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Lemontree: the girl in the picture is pretty but those guys are scary. I don't know much about Indian theater/movies, but every once in a while, I watch the Indian channel we have here on cable. Everyone is always dancing and singing and very happy.

Pink: I don't think Anjelina is pretty, but her personality makes her very attractive. You know how appealing kissing your brother on the mouth makes you.

3:52 AM  
Blogger Vijayeta said...

Agree with Pink's point totally... But then there are models nowadays who're lawyers, journalists, graphic designers and MBA's for God's sake. And they're modelling just for kicks, and the money! Point is, it's really nice to see girls like that who're not completely out of their mind starstruck. And the way these girls talk, you know they're intelligent, well-read and smart.
Interesting perspective on Kajra Re. I thought it was so well-received 'cos it was a family entertainer type of film, with a great cast and the presence of Amitabh Bachchan etc. And the song didn't have any overt tones of vulgarity or double entendres...Of course, Brand Aishwarya too, along with Brand Amitabh!

1:34 PM  
Blogger that girl in pink said...

LOL at goldennib's comments on AB sr & jr. I guess you have to be a true blue hindustani to appreciate these guys and find them handsome.

he he! poor vanessa must be quite foxed at our taste in leading men.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Pink: They remind me of the guys from Grease, the ones in leather. They scared me too.

In the (limited) movies I've seen, I like the guys that wear the traditional wedding clothes. Forgive my ignorance, I really don't know what the hell I'm talking about. But they are long coats with sort of billowy pants. They look sexy too me.

Once my office at home is set up, I plan on studying different places. You know us snobby Americans. We're the center of the universe, so we don't learn crap in school about other cultures.

1:47 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Are they father and son?

1:50 AM  
Blogger lemontree said...

pink: hey! i know what you are saying has a point. but whom i am calling the haves are people who are still very pleasant, kind, approachable, bright, witty but just incredible good looking. See nothing says that you have to give up one to get the other. We keep rationalising that there is an equation but there may so not be one.
So I am talking about the best looking girl in the same school/coolege/ workplace as us and not necessarly a celeb, though this in itself makes her a mini celeb with a fan club ;) you know what i mean. u r one of them.

vanessa: lol. the two men who are there in the pic actually belong to what can be referred as "The Current First Family of Bollywood". That is Amitabh Bachchan and Abhishek Bachchan (father and son). Both have big big big fan clubs , and I belong to both thise clubs ;) They both, father and son, figure on my list of 5 celebs I ......

The garment you are refering to is a kurta pajama, and yup it does make men look quite cool when they wear it to weddings

Vij: Exactly the girls whom I am talking about. And even when they dont choose to model !

11:48 AM  
Blogger Nautilus said...

What happens to pretty girls when they don't become models/actors? I had a friend who was so drop dead gorgeous that from a very tender age she had to ward off unwanted male attention! She had everything that's required to make it big in the show-biz...beauty, height, poise, dancing ability. She eloped at 18, got married to a nice, but ordinary looking guy with ordinary qualifications. Last I heard, she was selling Lukhnavi kurtas from a stall in a south-calcutta market! Such waste!!

12:44 PM  
Blogger lemontree said...

hey nautilus, welcome to my space
on the drop dead gorgeous girl, whose selling lukhanvi kurtas, if at the end of the day she is happy with her day today, its not such a waste. and by the have bit, what i mean is, everything else being equal, she would land up selling more kurtas than her negihbour

1:00 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Nessa, if you want to catch Ash (the pretty girl) in a movie you could understand, watch Bride and Prejudice.

Lemon, I thought Malikka was now hotter than Ash. At least, I watched Koffee with Karan and he seemed to imply as such. And I always believe the gospel according to Karan.

Nautilus: One such pretty girl (I used to work with her) became a very powerful business editor over here. She used her looks and her brains to get what she wanted. Phew. Sometimes I think women have it easy. Men tend to be pushovers when you know what buttons to push.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Jenn: Several people have told me to watch Bride and Prejudice and it is on my to do list. Thanks.

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey blogwriter,

I love the stuff you write about, and admire the patient way in which you explain your point. I'm too impatient when i start writing, so even the best stories come out too rushed, too brief to really sink in.

:)

Well, maybe i'm just a lesser-literary child of God :)

Also loved yr pic of ImPerfect Harmony in Goa. I too must be in some of your pics, and would love to see them.

Miss that evening at Bagha at the shack bathed in orange light from those paper lanterns...

Now u've recogized me i'm sure

11:53 PM  
Blogger lemontree said...

Jenn: Mallika may be hotter than Ash but Ash remains the beauty. And I too follow the Karan gospel!!
LOL on the push buttons ;)

Vanessa: Worth watching Bride and Prejudice for Ash but other than that the movie is very ok, especially if you happen to be a Pride and Prejudice fan

R: Hey! Thanks for reading me. And for the appreciation (turning pink). BTW you are in no way a lesser literary child, some of your mails could make hillarous blog entries in themselves
And on the pics: sore topic, our friend A lost them to the comps at PQR, so most of the ones I have are those from my motorazr.

I still miss goa sooooo much . New Year 2007 here I come.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Pixychik said...

Hey LemonTree

high time you wrote in about something new now..

11:37 PM  
Blogger lemontree said...

hey rs, you know you only have to ask :)

8:33 PM  
Anonymous hot wedding sex stories said...

How he would have loved to comein her tight little coochie. With a room fullof kids just around the corner, barter soon became her only option.
bdsm cock slut stories
free cartoon comic gay sex stories
free illustrated erotic stories
bestiality and humiliation stories
free stories adult
How he would have loved to comein her tight little coochie. With a room fullof kids just around the corner, barter soon became her only option.

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home